Re: [NTLK] I need a highway map of Michigan, street maps, etc.

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 06:30:05 PST

The way it sounds from your message, you'd be better off with a Newt'scape
solution.

Here's what you'll want to do:

Grab a map image you'd like to use on fthe Newton. Use a PC utility to save
it as a GIF file. Make sure not to end up with something too big - I'd
recommend 200k or less for a file size.

If you've got SimpleMail and Newt'scape, you should be able to email the
picture to yourself and file it in a special folder in your in-box. Just
make sure you have the Simplemail and Newtscape plug-in's for looking at
GIF/JPG images and you should be fine. You can open the images from
Newtscape>File>Open Inbox. After you've "translated" them this way, you
should be able to open them directly from the inbox.

Another alternative to Mapper from Adam Tow is the GPS Map Lite program. I
have not made my own maps with it yet, but it does look extremely
powerfull - and it doesn't really require a GPS unit to be attached in order
to see the maps. There's been several messages about it poted to the list
recently.

Good luck!

--Calvin