Re: [NTLK] OQO lives! (Maybe)

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 02:38:25 PST

>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:20:40 +0100
>From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
>
>on 1/10/04 6:23 PM, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

> > This could have been something, really, but I think the result is... well,
> > just a small tablet sans a pen orientated interface.

>The sad part is that the founders of this venture left Apple to start up the
>company, and approached Apple first about using OSX. They were rebuffed. :-(

*argh* Well, this thing would *eat* PowerBook sales if it ran OSX. You can truely see it's origin though, it even looks much like a PowerBook.
I think such a device should have a mobile and a stationary mode, with a different GUI for each situation. I want a pen-friendly interface when on the go, and I want a Mouse & Keyboard friendly interface one I connect Mouse & Keyboard (OSX's fast user switching in mind).

>I also love the idea, and will still consider it, so saying the price is
>right. I think, however, that it would be wise to include some function to
>automatically back up your data onto a stationary hard drive when you dock.

They think the funny part is taking it with you ;) What, you want a safe, stationary backup? Come on, think mobile! ;) ;) You could always use an online backup solution ;) ;) ;)

>I've lost a Newton, and barely survived the loss of information on it. If I
>lost my main computer, I might as well shoot myself...

Well, my most important backup is that 6MB FLASH memcard lying on my desk which sometimes gets to backup my Newt. It's also the only backup I trust for sure.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html