Re: [NTLK] Speed upgrade.

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 07:34:30 PST

WEll, I got my impetus from Stephanie. When she posted
pictures of her speed-up I saw how easy it looked and
figured "heck, I can do that!" And with the
conversations at that time saying that the longer the
leads to the crystals the greater the chance of
interference, I decided to "modularize" it to minimize
the lead length.
I also considered the Pixsolution method too, but when
I weighed the difference between a hundred bucks or
more or just 5 bucks for the crystals swap, well, I
didn't need my calculator to make that decision!
And in the beginning, I didn't even switch. I just had
it accelerated all the time. But when I went to a NUG
meeting, I couldn't beam with non-accelerated Newts,
so I decided that a switch was needed, although I
rarely use it (we haven't had a NUG in the DC area for
like...forever...<hint> <hint>) My big problem was
finding a switch small enough. The solution was
staring me in the face every day. And one failed
memory card later, I had my switch.
Unfortunatly, that Newt acquired a failed PC card port
and is now sitting idle while I use my backup that
isn't switched...I'm a bit disgusted with my main
Newt...This latest failure has caused it to be ignored
for the past several months while I get up the nerve
to get the mobo swapped...
Most people don't want to open up their Newts and make
modifications. I admit I was a bit reluctant to do
that myself becuase I actually rely heavily on my Newt
and have come to depend on it every day. So, I wanted
something that was reliable! Needless to say, this
method works and is reliable.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Anil <anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your input Ed. I have seen your site
> before and was
> impressed by your inventiveness. I have seen another
> site where a user
> attempts a speed upgrade, he also ended up using two
> crystals so he
> could switch back for serial comms etc.
>
> You have tickled my speed up bone even more than
> before, I will get
> more info about the Pixsolution board. I like the
> idea of being able to
> do a software switch between speeds.
>
> Again thanks Ed, for a little while I thought no one
> was going to
> respond to my email. It seems like not a lot of
> MessagePad 2K users
> have sped up their machines.
>
> I will post back when I have more info.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Anil.
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"The only way to get real privacy, is not to collect the information in the first place."
   'Aviel D. Rubin, the
   technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns
   Hopkins University on the requirement that GPS location systems be added
   to "Fast-pass/EZ-pass" in-car toll devices.