Re: [NTLK] Newton wireless card

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 06:55:02 PST

Nick M. wrote:
> Hello again all,
>
> I just got a full OMP set off an auction here (in Japan) for $20.
> Anyway, in the set there was an instructional video, and in one of the
> scenes, a guy plugs in a Newton wireless card, and I'm guessing- gets
> his email/stock quotes/whatever.
>
> Does anyone know anything about what this card was supposed to be?

It was likely a Megahertz AllPoints card or similar hardware. AllPoints used
to use the MOBITEX data network in North America to provide services to these
wireless cards, used in laptops and other stuff.

MOBITEX is mostly legacy now, and all of the providers who were supporting
the Newton dried up around 1996.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html