[NTLK] Newbie clarifications needed

From: John Osborne (oz_at_oceanatlas.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 14:05:00 PST

Hi,

I'm a newbie to to this list but not a Newbie to the Newton per se. I
have owned a MP100 for many years but it's mostly been a dedicated
solitaire machine so I haven't really kept up with all that's happening
with the platform. Recently I bought a MP2100 and I've been pouring
over the web sites and FAQs to bring myself up to date. I'm still a
little overwhelmed (and amazed at what's available for a "dead"
platform) and unsure of a few things that I want to do with the 2100.
These are the main things I'd like to do with the 2100:

1) connect MP to my existing TCP/IP network (by wire)
2) sync MP address book and calendar with my Mac OS X address book and
calendar
2) transfer notes from the MP to various applications in Mac OS X
3) hook up a small "wand" or bar code scanner and transfer scanned text
and/or bar codes to Mac

I know #1 is possible but what I would like is a recommendation for a
particular ethernet card. On one of the Newt sites I found a list of
various cards but the links for the D-Link products, for example,
didn't lead to any actual products at D-Link's web site. Can one buy a
ethernet card that is currently sold or do I have find something on
ebay? It would be great if someone could recommend something that I
could find very easily at Frys, CompUSA, or off the web. Throw in a
link to any necessary drivers and you get extra good karma points!

#2 Seems to work from what I've seen on the FAQs. My only question here
is about the fidelity of information transfered. Do you lose anything
going from the MP calendar/address book to Address Book and iCal on the
Mac and vice versa? Are todo list transfered?

#3 I know I can back up the contents of my MP2100 with NCU but what if
I want transfer text to MS Word?

#4 Anyone know how I might use scanner devices with the MP?

Thanks much!

oz

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html