[NTLK] The Eleventh Day of Christmas.

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 08:01:35 PST

"I believe that my friend, Ted Malone, has described the man in his 'Lost
World' yarn better than I can hope to do, so I'll leave it at that."

        - as will do the undersigner, for who am I to argue the judgement of Mr.
Peerless Jones of London, expert in artesian drilling operations, I who
have never met George Edward Challenger of 14, Enmore Gardens, Kensington?
    Let it suffice that here is another Professor Challenger-story, for
which the author unjustly got much less credit than for any of those
featuring the annoying pipe-smoker of Harley Street, and read it in good
stead, unbiased by whatever rumours you may have heard about the professor.

    And please do make nothing of the fact that certain modern scientists
believe deposits of fossile fuel deep down in the ground *not* be fossile
in origin and finite in quantity, but rather result of yet unresearched
subterranean processes, that will again and again replenish given eons of
time. This factoid bears not the slightest relation to the story told here,
I'm afraid, and you should definitely not follow this link
http://www.viridiandesign.org/notes/351-400/00354_paging-thomas_gold.html
in the best interest of your mental health, so pls. don't pay it any
relation when reading about Challenger's extraordinary experiment.

For the Eleventh Day of Christmas, I present to you "When the World
Screamed" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. File under hard SciFi, adventure,
fantastic literature, or maybe even horror, if you would trust Mr. Jones.
Whatever. Get it soon from an UNNA near you, or the resident DJ now.

'Kasko.

P.S.: It's amazing what wonderful and astonishing characters Doyle created
- Holmes is one of the most annoying figures in literature - everybody
craves for his affection, but he consistently rebuffes all of them in rude
ways, most of all that poor donkey of a man, his loyal biographer, Watson.
    Then there's our Professor Challenger, quite the unique and endearing
person himself, just he doesn't show it even on second or third glimpse.
Pure gold, but don't scratch if you treasure your health.
    And Brigardier Gerard - don't tell me you never heard about the gallant
colonel of the Light Hussars of Conflans? If that old story-teller isn't
one of my most favorite literary characters *ever*, I wouldn't be

sincerly as usual

Your DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html