Re: [NTLK] JAGGIES

From: Woody Smith (woody_at_bitstream.net)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 15:39:57 PST

Joey

The pen alignment problem does seem to be related to Jaggies. As I
reflect back over my readings related to the problem there does not
seem to be consensus as to either the cause or cure.

Software , some listers have reported that their jaggies were related
to conflict. If you have done a hard restart and attempted to align
the stylus with out success, I think that is ruled out.

Compression on the edge of the digitizer, some listers have reported a
variety of sources of pressure on the edge of the screen. Most issues
seem to be related to the latch side of the display, you can remove
foreign material between the case and the screen by cleaning it with
the corner of a thin plastic card. If this doesn't work try looking at
the symmetry of the case, unevenly tightened screws among other things
can distort the case. Try gently twisting the case to see if you can
align the stylus, you may need to repeat the alignment process several
times. If you see even partial success with any of these steps i would
suggest that pressure is the issue.
The most difficult cure is to disassemble you Newt and remove material
where the case touches the latch side of the screen.

Poor contact between the traces from the digitizer and the contacts on
the motherboard. Two issues have been discussed. Traces or contacts
are oxidized resulting in poor connection, try cleaning. Pad that
presses contacts together is compressed and not giving good contact,
try reversing the pad.

Finally the digitizer may be damaged. Someone measured the resistance
between the traces and fount that some digitizers were defective.

I don't think that there is a definitive answer, I would try the least
intrusive approaches first and proceed to the most extreme one step at
a time.

Good luck
Woody

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html