Re: [NTLK] NPDS - Well Done

From: David Schultz (evil_genius_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 09:30:27 PST

On 2/26/04 9:20 PM, "newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net" <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
wrote:

> I am very impressed with (Paul/Victor/Matt/Adam/Grant). I set aside an
> evening to get it running on my MP2000u, and I was finished in 3 hours.
> That npds.free.fr site was set up exactly the way I needed it: Read it in
> Nethopper, download the packages with Nethopper, follow the instructions, it
> works.
> OK, I have a few quibbles. I haven't figured out the tracker part, so I can
> only surf my Newt from inside my home network, but that still makes a great
> way to do screen snapshots. And the documentation is slightly outdated, but
> it's close enough. I guess now I'll edit some wikiwiki and join that email
> group and ask questions ("how do I make my newt visible behind my home
> router??").
>
> * Allen.Russell_at_BOC.com

Allen,

Paul/Victor/Matt/Adam/Grant are on this list as well as "that email group"
(you did mean the NPDS mailing list?)

The documentation is mainly using an airport base station for screenshots
and the like. (I have an airport network too, so I was happy to see the
documentation) But having used 3-4 different consumer and prosumer routers I
think its very straightforward. You would only need to translate certain
areas, there are certain language differences in what companies like apple
and d-link call port forwarding, etc. However I donšt think having it
duplicated for every brand of router is really necessary. If you are trying
it yourself, and reading the FAQ's then questions when you get in a jam are
entirely welcome and appropriate. (perhaps though on the NPDS list instead
of here)

To troubleshoot, the first questions I would ask you would be if you gave
your newt a static IP number, and if you have forwarded http ports on your
router to that static number.

While this is an NPDS issue, it has some interest I'm sure to the group,
however you can email me offlist, or ask your question on the NPDS mailing
list.

As I write this I am reminded of a conversation I had a while ago. I
realized I tend to think everyone puts a tremendous amount of time and
effort, late nights and printouts, google searches and hair pulling into
tech "hobbies" like making Newtons into wireless servers. This, my wife
gently reminds me, is not entirely true with most people. I also tend to
forget not everyone likes computers or has as much experience with using
them as myself, so if I am painting this procedure a bit simplistically, I
apologize.

DVS

--
"If you want to eat hippopotamus, you've got to pay the freight."
-attributed to an IBM guy, about why IBM software uses so much memory