Re: [NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 06:06:54 PST

AAAAAH HAAA! well i had to do research on the riaa rules on downloading for my company so we knew what stance we had to make about downloading files at work. an interesting fact most folks dont realize is that they arent going after everyone who downloads, they are going after the folks who download and then distribute said downloads either by sharing them on thier computers or by making cd's and passing them out to friends. if a person is downloading purely for personal use it seems that they dont have a very big problem with those folks. at least not yet. sorry i dont have a link for everyone to check, but if u do a google on riaa and file ssharing im sure u will see what i saw.

LAG

Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
We used to do webhosting for the RIAA (now they're
with Digex...which is still us....since we bought
them)
The RIAA has a single purpose.
I talked to one of their "technical" people
(laughable) and he explained the RIAA. They are
nothing but a bunch of lawyers. Everybody is a Lawyer
(even the technical guy I was talking to) and he said
that the RIAA is wholy supported by the major record
lables. Their job is to be the "bad guy" so that all
negativity is on them instead of who is really doing
the pushing...the major record lables. Basically, the
RIAA is a subterfuge for the buying public so that
they can be attacked by the record lables without the
record lables looking bad. Basically that's it. The
RIAA IS the record lables...It's like the Christians
and the Templar Knights...
Ed
web/gadget guru

The RIAA