Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge - Should I be worried?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 20:57:15 PST

> Again, it should have been greased. Grease it well and put the washer
> on there and you should be safe.

   Even if you grease it, over time (say the next 2 years), will that
grease harden up and you'll be stuck with the same problem? Could the
ends of the hinge spring be modified somehow to mechanically hold them
where they should be, so they *cannot* slip out? I'm thinking put a
small plate across where that screw is (held down by the screw), and
then solder it to the spring ends (don't know how, maybe something like
a SMT technique). Maybe even replace the whole spring itself with
something else like having the ends of the spring bent to fit *around*
the end of such a plate.. (anybody know how to get automatic
spring-making machinery.. Most certainly not worth it)

> As a side note because I have been contemplating this: what about
> releasing one of the sides of the spring on the other side? Would
> release a lot of tension...

   I've just barely started looking at the pictures (don't have an
eMate, yet. I might get one and start investigating though) Would
that affect the way the catch works - since it's responsible (I assume
it's just the spring operative here) holding the thing closed, open,
and providing the tension to keep it in either state? Does the eMate
have a catch like the *Books do?

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us
Indiana University CS