Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 14:20:40 PST

>> There was no multitasking. No multitasking until Mac OS X. Even 9.2
>> had no multitasking.
>> For example: If you are working on Photoshop and want to open a
>> Finder
>> window, or even switch to the Finder, you had to wait until Photoshop
>> let the OS grab some CPU time, which almost never happened unless
>> (Application A) finished all issued commands.
>>

> Mac OS System 7 had cooperative multitasking which is the name for just
> what you described above in your Photoshop example ... you have to have
> a form of multitasking in order to have two applications run at one
> time ... something that was new in the MultiFinder and System 7.
>
> Without multitasking you can't have two applications share any system
> resources. With the original Mac OS up through System 6 (until
> MultiFinder) the Finder was not running when you were in say MacWrite,
> only MacWrite was running. When you quit MacWrite the Finder would
> start up again. That is how it works without multitasking. Please note
> that while my point is valid my example is bad as all versions of Mac
> OS including the first included versions of cooperative multitasking.
>
>> I know what OS X employs, and it is good. I never put down OS X's
>> multitasking. I was talking about OS 7.
>
> Mac OS X uses preemptive multitasking not cooperative multitasking
> (which Classic Mac OS 1.0-9.2.2 does have and use), so not to put you
> down but you do not know what Mac OS X employs, at least not by name.
> My point was far larger than multitasking though.

Thank you for correcting me on some of those points. This is where my
age helps me not.

BUT!!!:
preemptive

adj : designed or having the power to deter or prevent an anticipated
situation or occurrence; "a preemptive business offer

Preemptive, is like saying, ahead of its time - or ---

Ok, you got me there. Point conceded.

I will now clear the smoke out of my house (see previous post)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html