Re: [NTLK] What the h...(Wireless:WEP vs NOT) help, please....

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 09:26:01 PST

On Feb 20, 2004, at 7:06 AM, David Abramowitz wrote:

> You know, I seem to recall when I was going through a similar exercise,
> that you needed to specify a password of a particular length when using
> 40-bit...check in your Airport Admin Utility.

I think that the keys are the issue... so that entering keys on
different platforms (or different software) can be tricky.

For example:

The Apple Airport software uses some algorithm to translate the string
you type in to the hex value used.

Inputting in raw hex mode is usually the only way to get these hybrid
networks working.

Then again I have not used WEP here at all.

The only security measure I do take is to block port 25 on my router,
which prevents drive by connectors from sending email through my ISPs
SMTP servers.

I like the fact that anyone can connect through my network and haven't
seen any problems with this as of yet.

Marty

PS I am trying to talk my neighbors into paying me a low monthly fee
for access.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html