Re: [NTLK] OT cd VS Vinyl

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 05:44:22 PST

I think this is a never ending topic.
So far I can tell that I had the opportunity to enjoy to experience the
sound of a really high end system (but with a high end CD-player as
source)and I was really amased about the difference I could realize in
comparison to my crappy low fi at home.
The thing really got weird when the guy started to exchange the power cord
of the CD player ...
AND YOU CAN BELIEVE IT OR NOT
I could realize a difference in the sound - hard to describe - but all of
the sudden you could hear things in the background that were simply covered
before.
Being an electrical engineer I tend to believe only in things I can explain
on a scientific basis, but iun this case - the real experience was in total
contradiction to my knowledge: there seems to be no plausible scientific
explanation at all.

As far as vinyls are concerned: from time to time a dig out one of my old
vinyls, but I have to admit, I am pretty shocked about the noise - and I
really treated them well.
Of course I do not have a high end vinyl player and no high end hifi system,
but this does not change the fact that you have hell of a lot of noise (in
terms of dust particle created noise) on a vinyl LP...

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html