Re: [NTLK] SNUG with the 11 meg. RAM

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 00:18:23 PST

On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 12:04 AM, Jim Witte wrote:

>> 11 MEG. RAM!!!
>> http://tow.com/photogallery/20010925_snug/
>
> What's 'DVT' ('DVT MessagePad with the 11MB flash card'). An Apple
> prototype? I'd always wondered whether the internal flash chips could
> be upgraded to something bigger, since there apparently isn't a
> address-bus limit of 4MB like with the DRAM.

DVT stands for "Developer Verification Test" which is pretty much final
prototype. EVT ("Engineering Verification Test") is an early prototype
and are far more rare.

On the prototype boards, there is space for 12MB (16MB?) of flash.
That board has 12MB, but some is used for file system stuff so it only
shows up as ~11MB. The production boards also have pads for the extra
flash, but there are no known chips that fit. Someone who wanted to
spend a lot of money could produce new boards with the full complement
of flash. David Humphreys may be able to do this, but right now he
has far more important things to do. Paul Guyot knows how to do rom
extensions so while the new board is being made it could also be turned
into an upgrade.

Notice this is not dram, just the flash storage. Dram is on the main
board, and there are no pads available for more. There may be pins for
it on the main chips, but that would mean building new main boards.

Brian Parker
www.sealiecomputing.com/retrozone - USB Nintendo Controllers

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html