Re: [NTLK] OT Palm dropping support for mac

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:37:59 PST

on 2/17/04 7:10 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_euronet.nl wrote:

> Some high-end CD players will tell you when they do fault corrections,
> if they're sensitive enough they'll come on more often with certain
> copied discs.

And right here is where all the difference in the sound comes from---the
error correction and the DA conversion. If it were a simple matter of 1's
and 0's, then all CD players would sound the same, right? Since they don't,
then it is obvious that it is more than simple 1's and 0's. If once could
make a perfect CD, without pressing errors, then it could be argued that
there is no difference between the two, but we are dealing with a physical
medium--namely the CD. Also, we must convert from digital to "analog," which
adds that fuzzy area that has the greatest impact on the quality of the
sound... BTW, a CD can lose a surprising amount of data which error
correction can recover, and better ones can recover more.it's a vital part
of the DA conversion... So, a copy on a CD won't sound just like the
original. I suppose it is possible that, if one could make a digital copy
onto a hard drive, and then, run it through the exact same DA converter
back, you might improve your chances, but still, we are living in a physical
world, and errors will crop in... I don't see how you can avoid it! Robert
is right on this one, I'm afraid. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland