Re: [NTLK] OT Palm dropping support for mac

From: bmcewen_at_comcast.net
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 04:59:18 PST

>From: Rick Ludwig <bensisko_at_mac.com>

>Interestingly enough, this could be what encourages Apple to release a
>PDA (or an Apple smart phone). Now, before anybody goes Nuclear, please
>realize that I still hold to my belief that Apple will not be releasing
>a PDA of any sort.

You are not alone in your first speculation; here a story with a release date for the "new PDA". How often has this guy been correct in the apst? I have no idea, I don't think I've skimmed that site before.

The fact that this page has stayed up for a day or more now makes me doubt that they are right (Apple legal seems aggressive); but it would be fun if true.

<http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=455_0_1_0>

"...
The timeline for this product is an introduction by July 2004. Hopefully Apple will deliver it sooner now that Palm has gone public with its withdrawal of Mac support.

It will use an OS X-like OS, having full integration with iCal, Mail, Address Book, iSync, etc. It will be QuickTime driven, with support for the new codec’s, including Mpeg-4. The display will offer 65k colors and will be as large as the largest Sony Clie (there's that Clie thing again). The screen will be touch-sensitive, using Ink as the input software. Just imagine the latest Clie (!) with an Apple twist, meaning a whole new design concept, a flip screen, and a keyboard, FireWire, USB and Bluetooth. And it will be hard-drive based, using the same hard drive in that the new iPod mini uses, but I'm told the drive will be bigger. I have no idea what the cost will be, nor do I have any information about the processor, RAM, or anything else. However, it won’t matter if you have a Mac or PC, it supposedly works with both platforms through the introduction of iSync with Windows and an arrangement with Microsoft. (you don't think Apple advertised iLife '04 as being "Microsoft Off
 ice for the rest of your life" for nothing, did you?)

..."

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html