Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton Books)

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 15:57:07 PST

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:22:53 +0100
> From: Manuel Probsthain <manu_at_xonxion.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton
> Books)
>
> DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>
>>> So I have some Newton Books and of the bunch I have like maybe one
>>> supports more than a single resolution. While that works great on my
>>> 120
>>> its not as cool on my 2100.
>
>> deliver 'em in a fat zip with the
>> etext source and a package for every of Newton's eight (!) formats,
>> while a
>> single .pkg woulda been enough. What a waste of portability and
>> bandwidth.
>>

> [snip]
>
> I wonder how fat the single .pkg would then be. ;-)
> Personally, I think it would be too big for permanently storing it on
> the newt, this is really a waste of space, so it's better to have one
> rather small package for every format.

the underlying text/graphic data (model) would be shared by multiple
page sizes,
though each resolution would have some minor overhead of storing layout
info (view) for each page.

on the other hand, I've never seen a multiple-resolution book (I recall
the Pensee folks, who wrote the book reade,r didn't have one around
either) -- if I had had one, I would've figured out how to add support
for this to Newt's Cape... (and we could more intelligently discuss
merits/sizes of single multi-format book vs. multiple books).

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html