Re: [NTLK] EScale Package Install Help

From: mark (mark_at_imap-partners.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 03:43:13 PST

On 11 Feb 2004, at 16:28, Nathan Turnage wrote:

> mark wrote:
>
>> I found this thread in the archives...
>>
>>> I am having the exact same problem. TiBook with Airport, Newton with
>>> ethernet on a hub. I can connect through AppleTalk, I can use the
>>> keyboard pass-through, I can browse my mac drive via install
>>> packages on the Newton.
>>
>> I am seeing a problem that sounds like it is probably the same issue:
>> Did anyone suffering this problem find a fix ?
>
> I have the same problem. I would gladly pay $10-15 to Paul, should he
> fix Escale and make it reliable, and I'm sure I am not the only one. It
> would be even better if you could use it to back up to the desktop. He
> has got a good foundation, but the rest of it is a little shaky. But I
> must say it is definately the best looking of all Newton package
> install
> utilities. ;-)

I'd love to see Escale working (on my set up - I know that it works
well for others), but I understand that Paul is busy with other stuff.
The newest nightly that I could find (20030910031501.tgz) seems to have
made some progress (the name of the package being installed appears on
the Newt and the progress bar advances on the Mac, but still not on the
Newt). Perhaps there is a more recent nightly of Escale that has made
even more progress ? If so, I'd love to try it.

On another tack, what other options do I have for installing packages
from an OS X machine [1] ?

I could install Classic but that would be a last resort. AFAICT, apart
from Classic plus NCU and EScale (or Delivery) my only option is to
download packages directly from the net with e.g. Newtscape, but
perhaps I am missing a cunning trick e.g. a way to install (put away)
packages after transferring them to the Newt via obex per Bluetooth [2]
? Or something even more cunning ?

Any help that will negate the need for a classic install or having to
pull packages down to the Newt directly from the net [3] much
appreciated.

mark.

[1] I have an accelerated MP2000 (serial port doesn't work, but I don't
want to take out the implant). I can get bluetooth and ethernet (both
TCP/IP and AppleTalk (both per wire and per WLAN)) comms to work with a
Powerbook running OSX 10.3.2

[2] Which works like a charm. Just, AFAICT, no useful way to put such
Inbox items away.

[3] A complicated explanation for why I don't want to continually have
to change my WLAN settings for hooking my Newt up to the WLAN is
available. I could do it per Bluetooth/GPRS (which also works), but
this is expensive.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html