Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 23:26:06 PST

on 2/10/04 6:01 PM, Laurent Daudelin at Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
wrote:

> I don't think so. Except for some parts of the Finder, I found 10.3 to be as
> snappy as 9 in all other areas. And this is on a PowerBook G3 at 500MHz, not
> a G4. I have a PowerMac G4 also running at 500MHz and I can't perceive any
> difference in the responsiveness of the OS in general. I don't think a G4
> offers such a big increase in performance, MHz for MHz...

My personal experience is that the multi-tasking in X is so robust that if
there are any speed hits on a per-program basis, I can overcome it by
multi-tasking myself. While one app is behaving slowly, I switch apps, and
work in another. I can launch one app, and return to work in another. When I
return to OS 9, I am suddenly reminded that this is an X thing, and I sit,
frustrated, while waiting for apps to launch, or whatnot... I never realized
before, just how much the Classic system truly is _not_ a multitasking
environment... So, while there are elements of X that still frustrate me
(the Finder for one) I prefer its warts to the OS 9 warts... Oh, I'm using a
Powerbook 2000/Firewire/Pismo... Still happy and satisfied with it these
three years of ownership!

(OK, I've owned my Newtons much longer, but they are perfect, eh? ;-) )

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland