Re: [NTLK] Jaguar v. Panther->Was Bad guys use PCs

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 09:54:00 PST

On 10/02/04 12:31, "Nathan Turnage" <nturnage_at_andadv.com> wrote:

> -Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> -> I don't think so. Except for some parts of the Finder, I found 10.3
> to be as
> -> snappy as 9 in all other areas. And this is on a PowerBook G3 at
> 500MHz, not
> -> a G4. I have a PowerMac G4 also running at 500MHz and I can't
> perceive any
> -> difference in the responsiveness of the OS in general. I don't think a G4
> -> offers such a big increase in performance, MHz for MHz...
>
> I don't agree. I have a Quicksilver 733, and I have noticed huge
> perceptible gains in Panther. The finder, apps, mail, you name it. The
> whole OS is snappier, not quite like )S9 is on the same machine, but
> snappier all the same. I had almost given up the Mac platform because of
> the dog-ass slowness of Jaguar. I felt like I was working underwater;
> everything was sooo sluggish. Now I am gushing over Panther, hands-down
> the best OS apple has ever released (besides NOS 2.1 of course). Now if
> they would just scale it down and put it on a paperback sized tablet...

I think we're pretty much saying the same! I also felt a huge improvement in
responsiveness on my PowerBook. What I was saying is that the difference
between a G3 running at 500MHz and a G4 running also at 500MHz is not
perceptible for me...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html