Re: [NTLK] Classic serial woes - was: Keyspan serial adapter and OS X

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 14:01:59 PST

Hi list,
 From a post here I was (am still I guess) hoping that Newtourage
(http://delcannsoftware.com/) might solve my
dates-on-desktop-as-well-as-on-Newt problem.
After receiving version 0.7.3 from DelCann Software and getting stuck
at the connecting stage, I realized that since Newtourage runs in
Classic I problbly was re-experiencing the OSX-Classic Keyspan driver
problem ('Dont install OSX drivers if you was to use Classic').
So I decided to uninstall the Keyspan driver in OSX. First I removed
the .kext file and buried it in a folder (copying it and then
deleting from extensions, requires authentication) together with the
Keyspan application. Classic extension folder has the old driver
(KeyspanUSA28XDrvr).

That did not give serial connection through Classic, so I decided to
uninstall as per Keyspan instructions: I put the files back, then
uninstalled, trashed the keyspan application and rebooted.

Still no Classic keyspan serial connection, neither with Newtourage,
nor with NCU......
I put the hidden copy of the .kext file back and pulled the keyspan
appl from the trash - no OSX connection.
Reboot: a message: A driver did not load correctly.... guess which: Keyspan

SO, now no serial connection to Newton at all.
Fire up Safari, find Keyspan and then driver, download and unstuff:
Error messsage:

'The installer package "KeyspanUSAdrvr18.pkg" cannot be opened. The
preinstalled script was either not executable or not installed'. I
can only OK this, underneath is an installer window with information
for me;
'This is the installer for the Mac OS X Keyspan USB Serial Adapter
driver. It supports the following Keyspan Products:
Two Port Din: USA-28X, USA-28
        You must re-boot if:
        1. You are running 10.1.x (10.1.3 or later is required)
        2. You had a previous Keyspan USB serial driver and
                a. You are installing a USA-19HS, or
                b. You are running 10.3 and your adapter is currently
                        plugged in. (you can exit, unplug and then install
                        without rebooting)."

No other option but closing...

However: a visit to Keyspan reveals a question/support page, with a
feature that analyzes the message to be sent and has suggestions
imediately. Stuffit 8.0 has a problem, an update is suggested.
Updating to 8.0.2 allows reinstalletion of driver 18, which allows
serial transfer with NewTen. Hurray - an OSX connection is back. Good
support, Keyspan!!

However... still no Newtourage or NCU.

So how exactly so you switch at will between the OS 9 and OSX
drivers? What versions? any tricks?

Berthe

--
Berthe