Re: [NTLK] [ANN] InPath barcode scanner driver for the Newton

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 12:51:09 PST

On 7-feb-04, at 21:36, Robert Benschop wrote:
> downloaded the driver today, plugged it on and nothing happens :-(
> Only thing I say happening so far was one flash of the little green
> light which in on the side not too far from the tip, anybody any ideas?

Sorry, I'm a fool (better when you mention it yourself ;-) I presumed
that the driver would be an extension.
Tapped it and suddenly I get a connection option, so I connected and
the Newt sees the barcode scanner (Eureka!) and the scanner blinks
green on the side and is emitting a bit of red light out of it's point.
(worst part is that this part is actually on the site, but I've I said
it already, no point repeating myself...)

Looks good, but now I try to scan a pot of Jam (first thing I
encountered with a Bar Code) and nothing happens.
Try again and still nothing, driver is minimized to a star and Notes in
foreground, so I try slower and faster and suddenly it works!
So the secret is not going too fast and neither too slow. (normal
speed, moron! ;-)

Now finally for my big questions: what good will do this for me, are
the apps that can use this data (Laurent's shopping list app comes to
mind) so that I can put this new-found coolness to practical use?
Second, why were the carriage returns stripped, in Notes it doesn't
really help because it will make multiple barcodes just be 'glued' on
top of one another, leading me to think again that somebody (Victor?)
had more than mere coolness in his mind when this was conceived.
Looking forward for BarCode enlightenment...

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html