Re: [NTLK] card eject

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 10:14:24 PST

>>Personally I like using SBM's Card Eject. This prepares the card for
eject
>>"like pressing the button once" and I believe shuts down the power to the
>>card as well.
>
>No, it doesn't.

Ok I stand corrected. I thought it powered down the card as well, but it
must be I was thinking of the time-out power down.

>This is not possible with ATA Support yet/unfortunately.
>
>What Card Eject does is just that it tells all packages to deactivate
>themselves, before the card is removed. It's just a way to avoid this
>message. It doesn't power off the card.
>
>Plus this power on/power off discussion is a little bit meaningless.
>The linear cards are powered on on every access and powered off after
>a small delay. The same thing happens with ATA cards but the delay is
>longer (and you can set it in the preferences) because the ATA cards
>need a boot-up before being usable and you don't want to do this boot
>up timing very often. You can actually even see that kind of problems
>with regular computers where you need the hard drive to spin up.
>Fortunately, ATA cards aren't that slow to spin up.
>
>And don't use it with ATA cards. Use the built-in unmount feature
>instead (which does more than what Card Eject does since Card Eject
>doesn't unmount the store and the system can still access it and if
>you have some pending transaction, you can have the reinsert this
>card message even if you ran Card Eject, although this is very
>unlikely).

I would never have thought to use Card Eject (which is made for standard
linear cards)with ATA cards. They are like apples and oranges, both food
but that is where the similarities end. And I would always use the unmount
system built into the driver, since that is *made* to handle ATA.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that Card Eject was only for
Linear cards. I am glad you brought that up. I also did not know that it
is possible to get the message even though one used Card Eject. I have
never tried it while in the middle of something, waiting till the Newt was
idle. I guess I am from the old school where we always waited till
everything was idle before making any sort of system changes. Running
processes and system changes generally don't mix well.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html