Re: [NTLK] A Newton! I've seen one.

From: Michael Cox (mcox_at_cdinc.net)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 09:17:06 PST

On Saturday 07 February 2004 06:05 am, Mark Rollins wrote:

> > Subject: Re: [NTLK] A Newton! I've seen one.
> >
> > Apparently you miss the irony and/or hypocrisy of Steve Jobs' "stance" on
> > consumer rights (or does it only extend to ripping audio?).
> >
> > Might I humbly suggest you do YOUR homework?
>
> Ladies! We ALL have made unapproved copies of copyrighted material at some
> time in our lives. Let's move on...

Right. My point was merely that things such as screen-grabs, short audio
snippets, recording TV shows for private playback, short quotes from articles
and books are (were?) a fully recognized right under the "Fair-Use"
statutes (Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976. "Limitations on exclusive
rights: Fair use").

So, if you're watching a DVD, we can assume that all the licenses are valid
(having been paid by either the DVD-player manufacturer, or the playback
software author, in the case of computer-based DVD drives...otherwise the CSS
code would not be decrypted, and you'd have nothing to watch), so that's not
the issue.

I guess my question is, do Windows-based DVD playback software packages also
have this limitation? Can you screen-grab on those or not? Or is this
"feature" (or lack of it) unique to Macs?

mc

--
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -- A.E. Van Vogt, "The
Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942