[NTLK] IR Control Software

From: Joshua Johnston (joshua_at_bowdownbefore.us)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 12:11:35 PST

Well, I was just getting into the search for a remote program the other
day, and hadn't even thought the Newton would be capable of as much as
it needed to be for this to work. However, it looks like I was at least
partially wrong. Now I see the threads about ShowMate, but it looks to
have a couple pretty significant flaws.

According to the ShowMate FAQ, they couldn't make a learning remote
version of it for the Newton because of a hardware limitation in the IR
receiver Apple used. Now, they did mention that you could enter in the
codes manually with the right information from the manufacturer, but I
don't think it's a feature included in the app itself. So here's the
big question, how easy is it to write things that send specific signals
like remote control information to the Newton's IR port? What kind of
application complexity would that require, and is there enough demand
for me to possibly tinker with something? I'm not a particularly
-good- programmer, but if it looks like something I can actually see
steady progress on, I'd like to try.

Barring it being a project I can tackle, is there anyone with
information on how I could get newer codes for equipment manufactured in
the past few years into ShowMate?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html