Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Newtopia (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 09:20:23 PST

I think there are two things here that aren't apparent to the Mac/Apple
world, or at least in this thread.

1. PC's don't break down at a higher rate than Apples, unless you
specifically target a low quality company like IBM who's OOBF% is way above
norm. And even then, it's been software and not hardware related. Apple ran
a 4% OOBF and 7% repair in first year, which is quite good. Compaq, NEC and
AST all had better numbers than that, but IBM and Packard Bell had worse. So
this is a conception issue more than anything, and I'm talking about actual
hardware issues. Hands down the Apple camp has a better run rate on software
to hardware conflicts, which is where I believe you are trying to focus your
argument. I'll concede this any and every day of the week.

2. PC's are instruments of adventure. We don't upgrade them because it has
to happen, we may use that excuse to get the funds approved from our spouses
though. The fact is, we enjoy ripping apart the box to replace newer,
faster, more robust components. It's what makes us tick. Sure I can run C&C
on a 32 meg video card from three years ago with little performance hits.
But why, when there has been a significantly better graphics card out every
9 months? Rip out the old, and put in the new.... Now that's better and I
did it myself! Are you getting the picture? We don't have to upgrade, we
want to. And to that end Apple has followed suit, you too can rip out that
factory video card and put in a 256 meg ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and not because
you have to. I'm sure your Adobe products run just fine on those factory
cards. But to run those really new and demanding games you have to fire up
the emulator and that takes horsepower. For example, Zero Hour hasn't been
ported to Mac yet, so you have to run your emulator and then you have to
cope with a pretty demanding 3-d engine running a real-time strategy game.
To run this at the speeds of the people you're playin' with you need a newer
ATI or it's competitors high end card. I know, because a friend of mine in
AZ has a brand new spankin' G5 with the dual 2.0 and he had to replace his
factory card because of dropped frames and delays. He had fun doing it by
the way... Got to see the beautiful engineering job!

Let's sum it up... Apple makes some of the best computers on earth, but they
don't own the title alone. There are quite a few companies and you can even
build your own computer that will have a very low failure rate. If you are
adventurous and want to tinker with hardware, then the PC is more inclined
for that, if you want to sit down and use a computer the way it came with
little to no fuss, the you are more inclined to go with Apple. Neither is
better than the other, it's just the preference of the user. I have the
utmost respect for Apple and their mission, have a little for us who like to
build our own, then upgrade it, and then upgrade it again, then do a fresh
build upgrade, you get the idea...

Based on some facts and mho,

Paul