Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Jochen Schäfer (js.josch_at_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 05:14:36 PST

Anil wrote:
> Yes yes, you are Mac users. Macintosh in the sense of ease of use,
> appropriate technology for the use, human first computer second. The
> Macintosh did this and so does the Newton.
Yes it did. Thus I pointed out that apple did it right, anyone else didn't.

> So if you you think the Mac and the Newton are not related then I think
> you are missing the point. They both get out of the way, and they both
That I didn't say. I said that these two systems are completely different.
> let you get on with what you need to do as efficiently as possible. The
> Newton OS is the Mac philosophy in your hand.
No, it is not. What Apple did was not transferring MacOS in a smaller
box. They completely developed a new paradigma. NOS IS definitely NOT MacCE.

> It is no coincidence that both products come from Apple, so perhaps my
> generic use of the term “Mac” is a bit confusing. Look at what happens
> when you try to take a desktop OS and squeeze it down to fit on a
> handheld.
>
> It doesn't work.
That's the point. So I'd rather like to have that called an Apple system
than calling it a "Mac" system, because anyone else will think in terms
of MacCE.

> So semantics aside, Apple, Mac, Newton, I think we have a lot more in
> common than we may think.
They have: Apple developing a system especially for the requirend
environment.

> At least the Newton platform is one of choice, I will hazard a guess
> that at least half of the Windows users on this list use windows
> because they have too for one reason or another.
Games! ;-)

> Out of all the desktop OS's out there, overall Mac OSX is the best
> hands down, not the most widely used but the best. And with the rumours
> of the Kernel change to Linux, things are going to get even better and
> bigger.
Can't comment on that, because I didn't had the pleasure with MacOSX to
date.

Jochen

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html