[NTLK] Red backlights (was: Need a new backlight)

From: Doug Parker (doug_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:28:08 PST

Another consideration in the choice of backlight screen colors could be
persistence of vision. Persistence of vision for objects illuminated by
sources of light in the red frequencey ranges lasts a shorter period of time
than any other color--there's less after image and it lasts for a shorter
period of time.

There's also night vision, and the amount of time the eyes need to adjust to
low light conditions.

In a cockpit at night, looking at a spot illuminated with white light will
destroy more of a person's night vision (or destroy it quicker) than looking
at a spot illuminated with red light. That's why pilots typically bring
flashlights with red lenses, and why many airplane dashboards and interiors
are illuminated with red bulbs. Not all of them are, but many are.

I don't know what the full continuum is for light frequencies destroying night
vision, but reds are the preferred color for most pilots.

I wonder how red-green color blindness fit into it all... ;-) Aaah...never mind!

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html