Re: [NTLK] newts for n00bs, the decider.

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 12:46:15 PST

THE one place i would check for answers to most of your questions is.... http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html

enjoy hth,

LAG

Jacob Hunter <hunter.jacob_at_virgin.net> wrote:
Sorry to bung up the list with messages which really contribute not
much, but I need to ask.

I'm trying to decide between a decent MP 130 with a few bits or a MP
2000 alone. My main concern being the ability to get packages onto the
newton itself as the dongely bit for converting the interchange port
(or whatever) of the MP 2000 seems hard to find whereas (as far as I
can see) the MP130 have a standard Mac serial port. So, my questions
are these: Can I just use any serial cable to connect a MP 130 to a
mac? (assuming I have a serial to USB conv.). And secondly, is it
possible to download packages directly from the net and install them on
a MP2000 with the aid of an appropriate pcmcia modem? If yes what
constitutes an appropriate modem, and could I do the same on a 130?

Also, if you have a few URls for newt related sites which may answer my
questions in advance...let me have them!