Re: [NTLK] RSS

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 07:45:03 PST

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:22 -0500, Seth Hollander wrote:
> I'm interested in trying out Raissa, but from what little I know
> about RSS, the feeds themselves typically contain titles or short
> abstracts of articles. Since I'm interested in using my Newton to
> browse RSS feeds offline, perhaps when I first get to work or during
> breaks, an RSS reader would have the most utility for me if I could
> read the entire story offline.
>
> Do I have the wrong idea about how RSS works?

No, sounds pretty much the way it was intended to work. If you read
feeds which have only partial stories, you could also use Courier to
read the feeds and load the story behind a headline. That is
unfortunately not automated, so you'd have to manually tap on the
download link. But once downloaded, you can read the pages offline if
you have caching turned on.

> Are there collections of feeds that "specialize" in complete stories,
> rather than abstracts?

I haven't seen this, but the idea it does make sense... in the end, it
is often something the author of a feed might be able to set, e.g. in
Movable Type, the upper limit of the abstract size is is a
configuration option.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html