Re: [NTLK] Best 3Com X-jack Ethernet Card?

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 15:46:06 PST

On Feb 1, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2004, at 2:19 PM, Peter Cameron wrote:
>> <snip>, but X-jack really sucks. I've had a<snip>
> I like xjack and have yet to see one break in 7 years of various xjack
> items...

We used to break them all the time in the shop I worked at.

About 2000 people, 1000 laptops and we broke about 20% of the XJacks
annually. Switched to a 3Com card with a dongle and we replaced about
the same number of dongles annually. But the dongles were $40 instead
of $259 for the ethernet, and the new cards were combo ethernet and
modem cards.

When I left they were sourcing laptops with ethernet and modems built
in.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html