Re: [NTLK] Newton Connection Utilities

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 05:55:09 PST

> I'm wondering what the cheapest method of initial data transfer (and
> maybe a "backup" in case WiFi fails) to get my Newton's basic WiFi
> packages installed is.

There's a card lending service out there, search the archive for Paul
Curtis and card lending service. Another option is buying one of my
20MB memory cards. I could install all drivers you will need on the
card before I send it.
If you join the Worldwide Newton Association (WNA), the card would
be free and shipping would be on me. If you donate at least 5 Euros
to either the WNA (http://worldwide-newton.asso.eu.org) or
NewtonTalk (http://www.newtontalk.net) and send me the payment
confirmation, you'll get a card at a reduced price of 12 Euros. Otherwise
they are 18 Euros.
Don't waste time on trying to beam the software from another Newton.
This won't work for some packages. Neither would installing them
on a card. They will insist on being installed in the internal
memory. What I usually do is make a backup of a Newton that
has all drivers to a card. People restore this backup
to their Newton and, voila, all drivers are where they belong.

Merry Christmas

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de