Re: [NTLK] [OT] Help with an Airport Graphite Base Station

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 19:31:42 PST

On Dec 23, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> Need some help and advice here on a Airport Graphite Base Station.
> I understand it's OT but being this is being used for my Newt I hope
> it's considered On Topic still.
>
> Got a ABSG but it came with out the WaveLAN Silver Card. It seems to
> power up and doing searches really hasn't help me much...
>
> It seems to bootup fine with out a card.
> LEDs go 3 Orange, Left Red, Right Blink Green and the Middle Steady
> Green.
> If the Network jack in plugged the Right LED seems to indicate data
> activity.
>
> Now I don't have a standard WaveLAN Silver and wanted to know if I can
> use a Compaq WaveLAN Gold card..?
I don't think that will do you any good, as the graphite base is
limited to 40 bit (64 bit) WEP encryption. So the gold will work as a
silver in that case. I have put a Wavelan gold card into one of these
and it works fine... Don't know about the compaq flavor though...

> I was a bit anxious and stuck it in and the LEDs on the card don't
> seem to light up. The LEDs on the ABSG seem to go 3 Orange, Left Red
> then Left Orange and this stays lit and never changes... any one have
> and thoughts or advice???
You need to reset the device and update the firmware. On the mac you
run the airport base config utility and it uploads the newest
firmware... Don't know if there is a PC version of this? Probably.

> Unfortunately this is the AP that I want to use with my Newt as I was
> thinking of setting this as a Dedicated Newt AP.
It works fine here, although it is limited to 64bit WEP. The silver
cards work fine in the newton also, when removed from the base.

Marty