Re: [NTLK] Podcasting, a new newton frontier?

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 10:02:02 PST

On Dec 16, 2004, at 11:59 PM, Dale Steele wrote:
> I've been checking out the podcast explosion going on these days and
> must admit I'm enjoying some of the creative audio feeds coming out on
> a daily basis. For more on this you can check out
> http://www.ipodder.org/ or a sample such as
> http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/index.html
> There are many types of rss feeds out there and the range and number
> is growing rapidly.
>
> I have not been a big audio user on the newton to date but certainly
> like the idea of a newton podcast out there that could be streamed to
> the newton community and those that wish they were part of it. It
> would also be a kick to sync it up on my original ipod for listening
> to while I commute to/from work.
>
> Anyone else out there been checking this out?

Why, yes, I have - one of the benefits of being unemployed is that you
can discover/rediscover geek toys that you don't usually have time for.
So with that in mind, I set up a Newton podcast with all free tools
(nice), and have a test file up. Let me know if it works for you. I was
able to use iPodderX Lite to grab the test feed. It then transferred
the feed to iTunes, automatically creating a new Playlist called
newtPodcast (creative title, isn't it?), which is the name of my
podcast, and lo and behold there was my test mp3 file (albeit with a
weird name that Audioblogger assigned to it). Then of course, when
iSync fired up, it put the new stuff on my iPod.

So what I'm thinking of doing is doing a weekly Newton podcast,
summarizing the week of goings on with our green pal, or whatever
news/items you guys think would be worth listening to while you're in
the car with your iPods/MP3 players. Ideas, please.

In the meantime, you can use iPodderX or your favorite podcast
downloader (Mac/Windows) to check out if the test feed works for you -
it's a whole 4 seconds long. Let me know. Here's the feed URL you'll
need:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/newtpodcast

- Dave