[NTLK] Complete reinstall (Newton core packages)

From: Andreas Nijenhuis (Andreas.nijenhuis_at_laposte.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 10:15:19 PST

Hello Pat,

I just performed a hard reset and subsequent fresh install on a MP 2100.
In this order, I installed

Networking essentials :

NIE Modem-Serial Support.pkg
Newton Internet Enabler.pkg
(NIE LocalTalk Support.pkg, legacy)
NIE Ethernet Support.pkg
Newton Devices.pkg
NIE-Patch-v4.pkg

InternetSetup.pkg (eventually on external card)

AirPort driver :
LucentWaveLAN=5Fv1p08a.pkg

Backdrop :
Avi's Backdrop-1.3.pkg
Calvin.pkg (of course!)

=46reeze utilities :
=46rzUtils.pkg

Enhancements :
BiggerNotes.<pi>.pkg
EuroInstaller.=B5.pkg
cardeject.pkg
EspyEnabler.<pi>.pkg
(KitFr-1.1.pkg & DictFr.pkg to make the Newton a bit more French, merci =
Paul)

MacOS X connectivity :
Dock=5FTCP-1.2-fr.pkg
nSync.pkg

Mail V (eventually on external card) :
TextStationery.pkg
ImageStationery.pkg
MailV.pkg
PaperStationery.pkg
Help.pkg
Assistant.pkg
AudioStationery.pkg
Monaco.pkg
PhotoCard.pkg

Newton Works :
Newton Works.pkg
QF Works 1.0.pkg, and it's update
QF Works 1.1.2.pkg
NewtDraw.pkg

It works nicely for mail and works. Mail V is from Simon Bell, Dock TCP
and French localization of Paul Guyot, nSync is continued by 'Nowhereman'.

Afterwards, I put some other packages, like Courier (from www.40Hz.org,
which works better than NetHopper I found), Raissa (RSS feed), Mad Max
(MP3), etc. Most packages came from the great www.unna.org, and all (but
Wavelan) are free. I also bought DashBoard and WakeUp Call from
www.fivespeed.com.

I'm freezing most packages when not using them, since the essential
problem of the Newton (well, one of them, actually) is the heap memory,
used by all active packages.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Andreas (Grenoble, FR)