Re: [NTLK] speed check software "pixsolutions"

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 19:30:21 PST

Paul,
yes, you can point a domain to seveal IPs. This is
called "Round Robin DNS". Its a poor man's
loadbalancer. but let me backup a little...
As long as you have the IPs on different
machines...You can do it to the same machine, but the
question here is "why"?
The way Round Robin works is that the first request
goes to the first IP, the second request goes to the
second IP, the third request goes to the first IP and
so on and so on (as long as you have only two IPs...if
you hvae more IPs, then it would cycle appropriatly)
Bear in mind though...depending on time out settings,
and caching server settings with your ISP, and your
own cachine on your machine, the requests may not
switch...and multiple objects on a single page may
constitute multiple requests on the DNS...This means
that both sites need to be exact in every way. If the
user calls a page that has 3 pictures on it, the page
will get called from one IP, the next picture will get
called from the other IP, the 2nd picture will get
called from the original IP, and the 3rd picture will
get called from the alternate IP. So, this means that
both sites needs to be exactly the same.
Do a google on "Round Robin" for details on how you
can set it up.
As for the form? Of course you can do this...it all
depends on how your server is setup. you will need a
directory on your server that allows you to write a
file on the server. The method of doing this depends
on what scripting language you are using. Give me more
details and I may be able to give you further
information. Be aware that I don't do Newton scripting
or Apple scripting...I also don't do PHP, and very
little PERL. I program in Cold Fusion, VBasic and ASP.
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====