Re: [NTLK] HEAP - What is it?

From: Sean Riddle (swriddle_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 18:08:30 PDT

I think, and this is from a programming point of view and not a
Newton-specific one, that heap is the part of memory where all programs
run. This does not necessarily count all the data the programs use
(well, technically, the data must be copied to the heap just prior to
use). On a Newton, this is the internal store. Limitation on heap size
is what causes a limit on the number of programs that can be run
concurrently (or even just thawed). Each program takes some space from
the heap. External stores, I think, cannot be added to the heap due to
some NOS limit hard-wired limit.

- Sean (Hope this is right)