Re: [NTLK] How to encourage members to contribute hardware/software/ancillary support?

From: Andy Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 12:13:24 PDT

I believe nobody will post this, but, you do!

I think that everybody can contribute in the way it can do it, and the
tools for do it are easy to find and use.

I'm that kind of boys that like to make the thinks work in the way I
like it... I'm a software developer, and from the short time I'm in the
Newton Community, I'm up to now learning how to develop in NewtScript.

Many things are missing now. A new up-to-date sync tool for Windows, so
nobody talk more above Slowdown, a *LOT* of Newton software, I can make
a list of what comes to mind, and many support areas for this, like
translation (my mother language is Spanish, and up to now haven't find a
Newton Translation to Spanish; nor a Spanish dictionary; I'll make it
when I know how). Also donations, like Dale say, are useful. What about
a slashdot news reader for the newton? I would love to have the news by
me and read them when I want it. But all this has to be coordinate in a
way that everything is *easy* for anybody that want to contribute, not
just months of reading and working to make something that can work, just
5 minutes in a day that can be useful for the newton community.

To make this we need a new website, where the newton community "To Do"
list appear, and also all the news of the already done project. List of
packages with software name, author, description, screenshot, platform
that is compatible, if it's a demo, copyright, and more.

The point is that here nobody is a company, and nobody move toward
business results. So, everybody will move on the route that he like more
and feels that is a more fun project, so coordination is not always
easy, each of us will be working in a different project most of the time.

There are not many Newton Developers that are developing software right
now, most of the developers are fighting now with other platforms like
Palm or PocketPC. We believe that Newton is the best platform, but we
don't live from what we make for the newton... up to now. The
possibilities that the Einstein project bring us are really big, because
with the same development tools we develop today we can make software
for retail, because it will run on PDA that are on the market. There
will be a great deal for the Newton Community to make everybody think
that NewtonOS is the best choice for any PDA. That will make us grow.

For now, this is my point of view. I hope everybody contribute.
Andy-