Re: [NTLK] Need Information about newtons

From: Steele Campbell (the.vampire_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 01:56:46 PDT

> #1 has any one got the Microsoft MN-520 802.11b WiFi PC-Card to work with
> tcp/ip on the Newton?

$This has been addressed in a recent thread on this list. It requires
a package called MoreWifiCards, Latern, Newton Internet Enabler, a
browser and of course Hiroshi's driver - quite a few but it does
infact work quite well. However I do not believe that it uses TCP/IP
but rather AppleTalk and it requires an Airport Hub.

> #2 is there a Newton web browser?

$Several, Courier (a browser that is exclusively text-based),
NetHopper (a full-featured browser) and Newtscape (A very
comprehensive browser that also reads eBooks however it is shareware).

> #3 What do I have to do to get my Newton on the internet

You will need the following (assuming a modem, dialup connection):

1. Newton
2. PCMCIA/External ADB modem (compatible)
3. Newton Internet Enabler 2.0 (allows TCP/IP and Ethernet connectiosn
on the Newton)
4. An ISP

If using Ethernet

All of the above plus drivers for a compatible NIC

> #4 What are the differences between the MP2000 and the MP2100 ?

The MP2k has a limited (1MB?) heap which can be extremely limting if
you intend to go online. For the moment, equate heap with RAM (it
isn't a perfect one, but it will work) and you will see that with the
added heap in the 2100 (4MB total), you can have several
Internet-using applications at once whereas you risk crashing the
2000.

> #5 Is it really worth the extra $$$ to get a 2100 over a 2000

This is personal opinion, but yes.

> #6 has anyone successfully surfed the net on a Newton @ Starbucks with
> T-Mobile ?

$ No clue, I'm in Canada

> #7 Is there connection software for the PC?

$ Yes, you can use NCU or Newton Connection Utilities

> #8 is there a memory upgrade for the 2100, while leaving the slot open for
> the NIC ?

$No

> #9 is there an easy devolopment enviroment for Newton (BASIC or D-BASE) ?

$There is NSBasic (Newton-Script Basic). Check out www.unna.org or the
WikiWikiNewt.

> #10 is there a portable printer that will work with Newton

$Yes, although as I remember the price, even now, is prohibative,

> Thanks Everyone!

$ No problem
> --

Thank you kindly.