Re: [NTLK] eudora for newton

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 08:54:15 PDT

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:14:23AM -0400, Vincent Juliano wrote:
> HI i have eudora pro 1.1 for newton installed on my newton and it
> usually works great. I have had only one problem and i ran into it
> last week while i was on vacation. When i would check email for the
> first time all the email would download great on the newton.
> EVerything would go smothly. I have eudora set not to delete the
> mail off the server because i usually have all my email kapt on my
> powerbook which i left at home. (I now use the newton for traveling
> because of its portability and it can do alomost everything i need)
> But the next day or later that day when i would check email again it
> would redownload all the email. Even the email i had downloaded
> earlier that day. I dont know if thi matters at all but as i read my
> email i delete it from the newt to save sapce on the internal card.
> Yesterday when i went to download mail it downloaded it right . I am
> just wondering if any of the great newton minds can maby tell my the
> problem and how it fixed it self. And do u know if it will happen
> again?

This is how POP will always work. Since the message is still on the
server, and the newton doesn't have it, it will get downloaded and show
as new again.

IMAP will download the message the message, but if the IMAP client used
before is fairly complete, the message will at least show as having been
already read.

Both of these will not download emails again that the client doesn't ask
for. This means the client must know that it has already gotten the
email, and typically that is the case only when the client still HAS the
email. I don't know that any mail clients keep records of mails
downloaded and disposed of.

--
85. I will not use any plan in which the final step is horribly complicated,
    e.g. "Align the 12 Stones of Power on the sacred altar then activate the