Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail hang

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 16:18:09 PDT

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 03:13 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:
> I don't have my apps set up to do this, but if I get time I will try it
> and see. For now, i have given up on SimpleMail again, for this and
> other problems with it:
>
> Another problem that I have been witnessing is a progressive slow down
> in the retrieval and processing of mail by SimpleMail. this has

Well, as a longtime academic researcher myself (sold out to industry
now (happy jig!)), if you are getting as much email as a faculty or
staff at most places (can't tell if you're postdoc without googling and
that would be cheating :), 1 month is a LONG time, especially if you
are getting spam too (if this account has been active a while). Being
a member of a yahoo group for me guaranteed lots of spam. I quit that
in a hurry and nuked the address.

The slowdown in Simplemail is likely from wading thru all those email
headers to find the ones that haven't been downloaded yet. Keep it to
50-100 emails to parse and it should be fine (I've not tried the
Simplemail V yet, this is with the 4.3 or whatever the last POP3 one
was). OR set your "last 50" or whatever reasonable number you want, in
the Simplemail prefs (in 4.x, anyway, I'm not sure how Simplemail V
handles it).

The Newton is a Neat Thing (tm) but there is limited heap on even a
2100 and with the TCP/IP protocols up, there's even less. Making it
wade thru humongous amounts of email is just a huge task. How many
emails are present after a month? Just the ones from this list would
be more than I would expect a MP to be able to parse quickly, certainly.

So- try setting your system up to 5 days or so. And put some of those
lists on digest mode perhaps. Or redirct the problem ons to another
account...

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only