[NTLK] IrDA television remote capabilities

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 12:59:00 PDT

Hello Everyone,
I know there were some television remote control software packages that were
developed for the Newton (which allowed for control of a limited number of
brands of televisions).
The Newton's IrDA is limited to a range of roughly one meter, but I am
wondering if that range could not be increased? Would it be feasible to remove the
MP's IrDA component and replace it with its counterpart from an old tv remote,
to increase the
IrDA's range? If it can't be done, could an electrical engineer on this bb
explain, in plain English, why it can't be done? I'd like to see further
development done with remote control software, so that I could try it with my Sharp
and Toshiba televisions. Thanks.

Matt K.