Re: [NTLK] Duo and Newton

From: scotty technoir (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 14:44:09 PDT

On 5-Aug-04, at 8:23 AM, Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail wrote:

> Hi, I contacted some about getting a duo 2300 and docking station to
> attach to my newton. Are any of you familiar with this setup? Will this
> allow me to get connectivity with my 2100?
absolutely! it appears many Newton fans were also drawn to the
ultraportable PPC duo, myself included :D
the duo on its own has only 2 ports, minus the Duo slot. One is the
14.4 modem and the other is a regular serial/printer port. This serial
port works perfectly for Any Newton.
as others have said, you can add docks for ethernet appletalk
connectivity to greatly speed backups and transfers (assuming your
Newton has ethernet as well, which is a nice segway:

> Also can I get internet fed to the newton from the 2300?

not too sure! i can't really see any benefit to this, a pcmcia 14.4
modem for the Newton should cost $5. but i know for sure there is an
App that can do the opposite. so say you had a 33.6K modem for your
newton and a serial cable. then you could get the Duo to use the Newton
as an internet connection via the faster modem. Of course whether or
not there is any speed benefit to this setup remains dubious. But
assuming your Duo has a battery that can last an hour or so, you could
conceivably use a Newton with a cellular modem and get your Duo
connected wirelessly out in the bush somewhere. And that, too me,
sounds like a friggin awesome thing. Oh here it is: the app in question
is ModemBridge.

<http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/ModemBridge3.0>

happy newting

scotty technoir