Re: [NTLK] Mucho bizarro

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 15:37:19 PDT

Martin Howard wrote:

> I've been playing around with Book Maker 1.1 that comes with the Newton
> Developer tools. I attempted to load the pre-made .pkg file for the
> Bookmaker Manual that resides in the "Sample Code->Digital Books"
> directory, but NCU reported an error, saying that it is not a valid PKG
> file (yup -- I had run PkgType on it).
>
> So, I decided to build it from scratch. The source is in Microsoft
> Word format, so I import that, see that it looks alright, and export it
> as RTF. Open Book Maker 1.1, open the file, click "Do It!" and it
> counts 900 something lines and then reports that it couldn't find the
> ".isbn" or ".title" fields -- which I know are there.
>
> So, I open the file in TextEdit. Hmm. While all the text in the file
> that was set in the New York font looks fine, everything else (i.e.,
> comments, instructions to Book Maker etc) that was in Monaco is in
> Wingdings.
>
> I reopen the file in Microsoft Word. It looks OK. I select
> everything, copy it, open TextEdit and do paste. Again, everything that
> was in Monaco comes out in Wingdings.

Yes I can tell you what the problem is. You are using RTF with a newer
version of Microsoft Word that is not 100% compatible with Bookmaker
(which is several years older not to mention Word likes to put in extra
junk in all files). You want to do all your editing, THEN save (so you
have a plain text master), THEN change the fonts, THEN save as RTF. And
don't do any carriage returns or such when you are doing the fonts.
ONLY change the fonts and that is it. Or you will run into those errors.

To fix the file you have now that is not working. Save as plain text,
open plain text file, change your fonts, then resave as RTF then run
Bookmaker on it.

I guarantee if you save it to plain text and run the plain text file
through Bookmaker you won't see any of these problems.

/warning shameless plug
You might want to take a look at my tutorial on UNNA called "Bookmaking
101". It is in the windows directory. I have a lot of tips and tricks
in there you might find helpful. And a new version will be released soon.
/end shameless plug

-Dan