Re: [NTLK] Dealing with file types

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 01:26:05 PDT

Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com) wrote:

> I find myself butting up against the same problem over and over again.
> When creating RTF files using OS X programs such as Micro$oft Word or
> Apple's own TextEdit, they are identified as RTF files in Finder... but
> programs that run under Classic (such as Book Maker and Newton Press)
> do not see these files at all: presumably because the OS 9.2 file type
> is incorrect.

It's not incorrect -- those apps don't set proper file and creator codes
at all. As I am regularly exchanging RTF files between Mac OS X and Mac
OS 9, this was becoming a real nuisance, so I've written a short
AppleScript that sets the correct codes and saved it as a droplet. Now I
just drop one or more of those .rtf files on the AppleScript droplet
which turns them into proper Mac files. The script is quite simple:

on open fileList
  repeat with anObject in fileList
    if not folder of (info for anObject) then
      tell application "Finder"
        set the creator code of anObject to "MSWD" -- MS Word
        set the file type of anObject to "RTF "
      end tell
    end if
  end repeat
end open

I've created several droplets like this to set proper type/creator codes
for PDFs, TIFFs, PICTs, JPEGs etc. -- the problem isn't exclusive to RTF
files.

- Michael

Michael J. Hußmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de