Re: [NTLK] Powerbook and Newton

From: Charles Broderick (chabro_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 18:44:55 PDT

I like the 1400. If your criteria is solely newton compatibility, the 1400
would be a low cost solution (albeit, slow). And it can be upgraded to a G3,
although with only 64MB ram max, I would spend the money on something else.

The 3400 is similar, but about a half pound heavier. Additionally, it can't
be upgraded to a G3.

The Wallstreet is heavier, but still has a serial port. The Lombard and
Pismo are the lightest 'books, at 5.9 pounds, and the fastest, but only have
USB ports. You will need an adaptor, such as the Keyspan adaptor. Having
said that, NCU and Newton Backup Utilities will interact with it flawlessly.

The Powerbook 2400 will be a bit harder to locate, and the 5300's are a bit
long in the tooth, but all should run NCU and NBU fine.

I have a Lombard and love it. I just acquired a 1400, and it runs Office 98
fine for me, which is all I need it for. I really wish the newer macs (like
my eMac 1.25) dual booted--I am starting to collect old Macs just so I can
run Classic for the next 10 years (if my wife doesn't divorce me first).

--Charles