Re: [NTLK] Special characters in owner info allowed?

From: Sasa (sasa.radojcic_at_xs4all.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 15:48:33 PDT

Given my age (born 1963) I can give an answer to that:
if you google for

ascii language map dos keyb "code page" overview "character set"

you will find this link:

http://manuals.fujitsu-siemens.com/servers/bs2_man/man_us/mt9750/v5_0/
9750man.pdf

or the same as an html-link:

http://www.google.nl/search?q=cache:vkrv6TEvjOkJ:manuals.fujitsu-
siemens.com/servers/bs2_man/man_us/mt9750/v5_0/
9750man.pdf+ascii+language+map+dos+keyb+%22code+page%22+overview+%22char
acter+set%22&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8

If you compare the different code tables you will see that only the
first 128 character are the same, the rest will differ more or less for
the different country code tables. For that reason it was agreed that
in order to successfully exchange information between the different
countries only the first 128 characters should be used.

Unicode is the successor to ASCII. Where ASCII characters use 1 byte to
represent a character and therefore have a maximum of 256 possible
characters (8 bits, each with 2 possibilities) Unicode is based on a
2-byte representation, which will give you 65.356 possibilities (16
bits). OS's are using Unicode, but not all applications do that.
Therefore we are still stuck with no special characters like umlauts.
The recent added possibility to have domainnames containing special
characters like umlauts hopefully will force softwaremakers to add this
possibility to their software as well, maybe in a year or two or three
things will be different.

Sascha

Op 19 aug 2004 om 9:22 heeft Frank Gruendel het volgende geschreven:

> Hi all,
>
> I do have the impression that some mail servers do not allow special
> characters in the "from" fields of sent mail. This does not mean
> the sender's email address itself, but the part of the "From" field
> that is taken from the Newton's owner info.
>
> Does anybody know
> if this is true or not true? I had an owner in "owner info" whose
> last name contained an umlaut, and I received a SMTP error
> from freenet.de: 550 syntax error in header. I changed the
> umlaut to "ue" and this time the mail was accepted.
>
> If it is actually a problem, it should added to the FAQ...
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank
>
> -- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de
>
> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

ascii language map dos keyb "code page" overview "character set"

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&ie=UTF
-8&q=ascii+language+map+dos+keyb+"code+page"+overview+"character+set"&lr
=