[NTLK] I'm talking to the guy about the broken MP 2000...

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 07:51:23 PDT

Pete, et al:
I am already talking to the fellow about his broken Newton and accessories
(which will be distributed among those in need, so no worries). He is very
concerned about leaving personal data on the Newt, and he will NOT donate the
Newton itself or the memory cards IF he can't delete the personal data to his
satisfaction.

The guy told me that the rechargeable battery pack is deader than a doornail,
and his battery tray seems to be corroded. He did manage to perform a hard
reset with the AC adapter plugged in, but when the "Delete All Data?" dialog
box appeared, he could not select "Yes" or "No". The screen appears very
failntly and does not respond to stylus input. I suggested that he attempt a hard
reset with the keyboard plugged in, in hopes that he could delete his personal
information that way.

I've assured him that the accessories will be recycled back into the Newton
Community. Worst case scenario: at least there will be a keyboard, battery
tray, and a few other doodads to distribute within the Community. Best case
scenario: somebody's going to get an MP 2000. I'll post more when I find out
further details on this. :O)

Matt K.