Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail

From: Rick Perron (rpgraph_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 06:06:21 PDT

Hi, Tom.

You said something below that made me think of a possible
explanation--that you are using the "browse mail" instead of the
"download mail" option. I think that when you use the "browse mail"
option, Newton doesn't retain anything once you power off (except, of
course, what you've chosen to download while browsing). So, it may be
that your Newton *is* checking your mail on schedule, but that it's
pointless because the "browse mail" info is lost when it powers down
afterward. (Or, it may not even check it if you have the "browse mail"
option selected, I'm not sure.) But I would switch to "download mail"
and see if that helps. Since it downloads the mail unattended, time
shouldn't be as much of an issue, and your mail will be waiting for you
the next time you power on.

I know what you mean about slow downloads--my eMate takes forever to
get messages. That's why I was excited to learn from your original post
that it could do an unattended mail download. This has turned my eMate
into a real e-mail tool, instead of an interesting toy.

Also, your "you've got mail" sound problem may also be related to the
"browse mail" option you have selected. I think that the sound only
chimes *after* mail completes its download. So it would only work in
"browse mail" after you selected and downloaded a particular message.

Hope this helps!

Rick