Re: [NTLK] Some wise words (maybe)

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 13:15:08 PDT

Yes GEOS was for the Commodore 64 and 128 (there were two versions of
the OS and most of the apps) and is actually quite serviceable after all
this time (if you add a few hardware bits to the system like HD,
Ramdrive, CPU acceleator). While GEOS was started on the Commodore, in
the early 90's Berkly Softworks changed their name to Geoworks and
created a DOS version they called Ensemble. It had all the apps with it
while the Commodore version had some apps (Geowrite, Geospell, Geopaint)
many were extra (Geopublish, Geofile, Geocalc etc).

The Ensemble system should run on newer systems if you set the emulation
settings properly. Installing might be the only hicup (at least the
older version of it). The OS has been sold and bought by several
compaines since Geoworks had it. I don't remember who owns it now
offhand. Also there were several PDA's that used the OS as well. Some
that looked like the emate (and came out a few years before the emate, I
think it was called the GEOS pad or GEOS box). Others that were made in
the mid 90's that look like a OMP (Casio Zoomer it was called and I
actually have a couple of the units).

-Dan